No. 2 AUM makes short work of No. 25 Lee, 9-0 | Schools
The No. 2 Auburn Montgomery men’s tennis team improved to 2-0 in Southern States Athletic Conference play on Tuesday, when it rolled past No. 25 Lee University by the score of 9-0.
With the win, the Warhawks improved to 4-1 on the season, while the Flames fell to 0-2 overall.
“The team knew how important it was to send a message to other teams in the conference,” head coach Rolando Vargas said. “Lee is a very good team, so it is a great showing to win 9-0. I thought everyone stepped up and showed a lot of energy. Now we have to get ready for another tough match against William Carey.”
In doubles play, the Warhawks dropped just six games en route to the 3-0 lead. Tim Hewitt and Bence Toth teamed to earn an 8-2 win at the top position, while Zinelabidine Jouini and Othmane Lalami cruised to an 8-1 victory at the No. 2. Reigning SSAC Player of the Week Nicolas Pinones-Haltenhoff and Miguel Grifol captured an 8-3 win at the No. 2 position.
In singles play, AUM earned six straight-set victories, including a 6-1, 6-0 wins by Hewitt at the No. 2 position and Toth at the No. 3 spot. Pinones-Haltenhoff, Jouini, Josh Reason and Matias Dasso also earned singles wins.
The Warhawks will return to action on Friday, March 1, when thy travel to Hattiesburg, Miss., to take on No. 6 William Carey. The match is slated to begin at 2 p.m.
1. Tim Hewitt/Bence Toth (AUM) def. Richard Gamble/Vincent Audy (LEE) 8-2
2. #12 Zinelabidine Jouini/Othmane Lalami (AUM) def. Daniel Hardesty/Patrick Kim (LEE) 8-1
3. N Pinones-Haltenhoff/Miguel Grifol (AUM) def. Fabio Medina/Kevin Tan (LEE) 8-3
1. #2 N Pinones-Haltenhoff (AUM) def. Richard Gamble (LEE) 6-0, 6-2
2. #6 Tim Hewitt (AUM) def. Vincent Audy (LEE) 6-1, 6-0
3. Bence Toth (AUM) def. Fabio Medina (LEE) 6-1, 6-0
4. #33 Zinelabidine Jouini (AUM) def. Daniel Hardesty (LEE) 6-1, 6-2
5. Josh Reason (AUM) def. Patrick Kim (LEE) 6-4, 6-1
6. Matias Dasso (AUM) def. Kevin Tan (LEE) 6-1, 6-2
Source: AUM Sports Information Director