Lady Hawks lose conference opener | Schools
The Huntingdon women’s basketball team opened conference play with a 70-49 loss to Salem College on Saturday.
Huntingdon (5-8, 0-1 Great South Athletic Conference) led early in the game and only trailed 30-27 at the half. But Salem (7-4, 1-0 GSAC) took control in the second half.
“We had a terrible performance today,” Huntingdon head coach Buzz Phillips said. “We had 34 turnovers, 15 missed free throws and only scored 49 points. You can’t win like that.
“Thank goodness this was just the first conference game. We’ve got to regroup quickly, but I know we are a better team than what we showed today and I believe we will get better and be more competitive the rest of the season.”
Katie Martin scored 12 points and Raven Prater added 10 points for Huntingdon. Patricia Pickens added 11 rebounds and eight points.
Huntingdon hosts Pensacola Christian on today at 5 p.m.
Source: Huntingdon College Sports Information Director
Top Central Montgomery Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- MPD investigating Montgomery's 25th homicide of 2013
- Make It an Artful Summer at the Montgomery Museum of Fine Arts during Week-Long Art Camps
- Get your kids off the couch with AUM summer camps
- Montgomery County Clean-Up day and Memorial Day Observance this weekend in Pike Road
- Deck collapse underscores dangers of overcrowding