Alabama VA Commissioner appointed to National Committee | News
Secretary of Veterans Affairs Eric Shinseki has appointed Alabama Department of Veterans Affairs Commissioner, retired Navy Rear Adm. W. Clyde Marsh, to the VA’s Geriatrics and Gerontology Advisory Committee.
The Geriatrics and Gerontology Advisory Committee provides advice to the Secretary of Veterans Affairs and the Under Secretary for Health on matters for improving and expanding VA’s capability to meet the medical, psychological and social needs of older veterans. It also advises VA on advances in geriatric and gerontology research, the training of health care personnel and the development of improved models of clinical services for older veterans.
The VA operates 19 Geriatric Research, Education and Clinical Centers (GRECCs) and is a leader in research on the aging process and the health care needs of the elderly. VA estimates there are nearly 9 million veterans age 65 or older, representing about 42 percent of the veteran population.
Marsh also serves on the Veterans Rural Health and Advisory Committee that advises the VA Secretary on issues affecting rural veterans enrolled in the VA Health Care System.
Source: AL Dept. of Veterans Affairs Public Information Officer
Top Central Montgomery Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Downtown Montgomery site to be renovated, called the "40 Four Building"
- MPD investigating Montgomery's 25th homicide of 2013
- Make It an Artful Summer at the Montgomery Museum of Fine Arts during Week-Long Art Camps
- Get your kids off the couch with AUM summer camps
- Montgomery County Clean-Up day and Memorial Day Observance this weekend in Pike Road