ALDOT to install digital message boards along I-65 in Montgomery | News
MONTGOMERY, AL (WSFA)- Your driving experience on Interstate 65 throughout Montgomery is about to become a bit safer. The Alabama Department of Transportation is making plans to erect 7 overhead message boards.
The high-tech digital boards will have messages ranging from Amber Alerts to weather-related situations.
Chris Hilyer says it's the sign of the times. The population has grown in Montgomery which means more traffic.
Hilyer says the state is splitting the $2 million cost with the federal government for the boards, making Montgomery the 4th city in the state to get the digital boards.
"There is no question the population has grown outside of Montgomery in the Autauga and Elmore County areas," said Hilyer who is the 6th Division Operations Manager for the Alabama Department of Transportation.
Coming from Birmingham the first board will be installed near the Pine Level exit in Autauga County, another one at Interstate 65 and Highway 14 and a third one at Cobbs Ford Road and Interstate 65 in Prattville.
Farther down the interstate the plan is to put one near Gateway Park and Interstate 65 and one near Hyundai.
DOT says there will be 7 message boards and for now only along Interstate 65 South.
"The main reason is resources but I'm certain within 10 years we'll have some along Interstate 85 as well," said Hilyer.
In recent months the state has laid the infrastructure for the message boards such as the tall, communications pole at Cobbs Ford and 65.
The 7 boards are expected to up by March 2014.
Copyright 2013 WSFA 12 News. All rights reserved.
Top Central Montgomery Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Montgomery County Clean-Up day and Memorial Day Observance this weekend in Pike Road
- Deck collapse underscores dangers of overcrowding
- Returning serviceman surprises his kids at school
- Develop nerves of steel with Kevin Elko on May 29
- Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office now accepting applications for Citizens Police Academy
- Prattville woman arrested for multiple counts of home mortgage fraud and theft
- CrimeStoppers offering cash reward to find Autauga County chase suspect
- Prattville draft beer legislation waits for bill's signature
- City of Prattville to Observe Memorial Day
- 3 old wooden bridges to be replaced in Autauga Co. at cost of $1.3 million