New photos and first hand account of Sunday morning apartment fire | News
MONTGOMERY, AL (WSFA)- Here is an update on the Sunday morning fire at Ashton Apartments in Montgomery.
The photos of the fire were sent to us by Ashley Farmer who gave this firsthand account of the fire:
"...my brother and friends (who are ex military)
actually woke a few families up in the surrounding apartments and probably
saved their lives, a few minutes after the families got out the inner
stairwell collapsed. By the time the firefighters arrived it was totally engulfed.
One girl we talked to said "I don't know which of you guys knocked on my
door but thank you" she lived there by herself and the banging on her door
set her dogs to barking which is what woke her up, she said she was a student
at ASU. The boys who woke them
up are in one of the photos standing next to a fireman."
Below is the original story we posted on Sunday:
"This is home, now," says Bianca Gildersleeve as she plops down on the couch in her extended stay hotel room.
With only a few bags of belongings, Gildersleeve and her roommate Jasmine Scott moved into the hotel.
They lived together at the Ashton Apartments on Carmichael Road. But, not anymore.
"It's hard because it was the Thanksgiving holiday and we were with our family and we came back to nothing," says Scott.
The girls were out of town when they learned their home was in flames. A friend called them.
They found out their apartment was next to the one where the fire began around three o'clock Sunday morning.
Investigators say unattended food was to blame.
"It looks like it came from theirs and came straight to Jasmine's room and just came all through our apartment and on to the next one," says Gildersleeve.
In the blink of an eye roughly 30 people lost virtually everything they own. And while they'll tell you it's difficult having nothing to their name, for some, it's the least of their worries.
"Just blessed to be here, that's the main thing," says victim Daquan Roney.
"We do have life. And ya know, material things can be replaced. Shoes, clothes, everything," says Scott.
The girls say despite the loss, they gained an even greater friendship--admitting even good things can come from the bad.
"We were close then, but now we're closer than close," says Gildersleeve.
All displaced residents now have temporary places to stay and are beginning the search for permanent new homes.
Copyright 2012 WSFA 12 News. All rights reserved.
Top Central Montgomery Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Club Blaze's license revoked by the Montgomery City Council
- Legislature passes bill granting in-state tuition to armed forces members
- Weekend shooting ends with Montgomery's 24th homicide of 2013
- Alabama woman sentenced to 4 years in prison in stolen identity refund fraud scheme
- Montgomery Museum of Fine Arts Hosts Double Exhibition Opening on Friday, June 14, 2013
- City of Prattville to Observe Memorial Day
- 3 old wooden bridges to be replaced in Autauga Co. at cost of $1.3 million
- City hosts 2nd Annual Memorial Day Fun Event - Pratt Pool Goes Retro for a Day!
- Man arrested after Prattville road rage leads to shooting
- Old Farm Lane in Prattville will be Closed Sunday for Utility Relocation