"Two ways out" key to fire safety | News
MONTGOMERY, AL (WSFA)- Despite warnings, many people don't have a fire safety plan. So officials are using Fire Safety Week to get out the message about preparedness.
This year's theme is two ways out. Not only two ways out of your home, but also two ways out of the room you're in when a fire starts.
"The bedroom window is the safest and fastest means of egress out of a room, then you go to the front yard or wherever your meeting place is," said Harold Bellinger, an Assistant Chief with the Montgomery Fire Department. "But you need to make sure you go over these escape plans with your children."
Bellinger said most of the fires in the City of Montgomery are preventable, caused by unattended food on the stove or overloading sockets with electronics. Prevention and preparation can go a long way toward keeping people safe when a fire breaks out.
This week, firefighters across Montgomery are opening their doors to teach your family how to prevent fires. You can visit any fire station in the city between 10 and 11 a.m. and 2 and 3 p.m.
Copyright 2012 WSFA 12 News. All rights reserved.
Top Central Montgomery Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Develop nerves of steel with Kevin Elko on May 29
- Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office now accepting applications for Citizens Police Academy
- Club Blaze's license revoked by the Montgomery City Council
- Legislature passes bill granting in-state tuition to armed forces members
- Weekend shooting ends with Montgomery's 24th homicide of 2013
- City of Prattville to Observe Memorial Day
- 3 old wooden bridges to be replaced in Autauga Co. at cost of $1.3 million
- City hosts 2nd Annual Memorial Day Fun Event - Pratt Pool Goes Retro for a Day!
- Man arrested after Prattville road rage leads to shooting
- Old Farm Lane in Prattville will be Closed Sunday for Utility Relocation