MPD conducting homicide investigation on University Drive near ASU | News
MONTGOMERY, AL (WSFA)- The Montgomery Police Department has initiated a homicide investigation following an incident near Alabama State University's campus.
Authorities were called to the scene on North University Drive just after 5:00 p.m. An adult male was pronounced dead on the scene from a gunshot wound in the 600 block of N. University Drive in front of a strip of businesses.
"A lot of people are giving different descriptions of what happened right now," said Montgomery Police Department Spokesperson Sgt. Regina Duckett. "Once it happened a lot of people took off running. We took a few persons of interest into custody but it's too early to call them suspects."
An ASU spokesman told WSFA 12 News that the victim was not an ASU student. Nevertheless, crowds of students watched as police conducted their investigation.
"I just heard a scream, police just flying by, so I knew something had happened," said Franchesica Blair, a Junior at ASU. "It's just a shame."
Copyright 2012 WSFA 12 News. All rights reserved.
Top Central Montgomery Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Club Blaze's license revoked by the Montgomery City Council
- Legislature passes bill granting in-state tuition to armed forces members
- Weekend shooting ends with Montgomery's 24th homicide of 2013
- Alabama woman sentenced to 4 years in prison in stolen identity refund fraud scheme
- Montgomery Museum of Fine Arts Hosts Double Exhibition Opening on Friday, June 14, 2013
- City of Prattville to Observe Memorial Day
- 3 old wooden bridges to be replaced in Autauga Co. at cost of $1.3 million
- City hosts 2nd Annual Memorial Day Fun Event - Pratt Pool Goes Retro for a Day!
- Man arrested after Prattville road rage leads to shooting
- Old Farm Lane in Prattville will be Closed Sunday for Utility Relocation