Alabama Dept. of Public Safety to participate in National Passenger Carrier Strike Force | News
The safety of passengers who travel by motor coach is a priority for the Alabama Department of Public Safety and the U.S. Department of Transportation, Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration.
Beginning Aug. 13 and continuing through Aug. 27, DPS’s Highway Patrol Division will participate in the National Passenger Carrier Strike Force, a national initiative sponsored by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration. The two-week safety program involves passenger carrier driver/vehicle inspections and related enforcement activities across the state and the nation.
During this time, Highway Patrol’s Motor Carrier Safety Unit will partner with the U.S. Department of Transportation’s Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration to increase the overall impact on passenger carrier safety. This safety strike force is a crucial part of efforts to prevent crashes and save lives, allowing law enforcement officers to reach a greater number of carriers and remove more unsafe vehicles and drivers from the road.
National Passenger Carrier Safety Strike Force events are as follows:
- Aug. 14 (9-11 a.m. and 1-3 p.m.): Inspections at the U.S. Space and Rocket Center, 1 Tranquility Base, Huntsville.
- Aug. 20 (9-11 a.m.): Inspections at the Greyhound Bus Station, 950 W. South Blvd., Montgomery.
- Aug. 21 (9-11 a.m. and 1-3 p.m.): Inspections at Colonial Trailways, 2521 Halls Mill Road, Mobile.
Note: Individuals who are considering bus travel, particularly those who are planning trips for large groups, may want to visit www.fmcsa.dot.gov to review passenger safety carrier records. And anyone who spots an unsafe driver, vehicle or incident may report it online or by phone at 888-DOT-SAFT (368-7238).
Source: Alabama Department of Public Safety
Top Central Montgomery Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Club Blaze's license revoked by the Montgomery City Council
- Legislature passes bill granting in-state tuition to armed forces members
- Weekend shooting ends with Montgomery's 24th homicide of 2013
- Alabama woman sentenced to 4 years in prison in stolen identity refund fraud scheme
- Montgomery Museum of Fine Arts Hosts Double Exhibition Opening on Friday, June 14, 2013
- City of Prattville to Observe Memorial Day
- 3 old wooden bridges to be replaced in Autauga Co. at cost of $1.3 million
- City hosts 2nd Annual Memorial Day Fun Event - Pratt Pool Goes Retro for a Day!
- Man arrested after Prattville road rage leads to shooting
- Old Farm Lane in Prattville will be Closed Sunday for Utility Relocation