Montgomery simulates terrorist attack | News
MONTGOMERY, AL (WSFA)- Montgomery city officials staged a simulated terrorist attack this morning to test the response capabilities of police, fire and rescue, communications, emergency management, and elected officials.
There were several scenarios playing out in this simulation. Responders were first faced with an explosion at the train shed in downtown, derailing a train carrying hazardous material. There was also a simulated bombing at a downtown hotel and a shopping mall in the city.
The simulation was discussion based, and although nothing in the exercise was actually happening, lines of communication among city and county agencies, and the media were tested.
Only a handful of supervisors in the city were aware of the simulation, which took about 4 hours to enact.
Copyright 2012 WSFA 12 News. All rights reserved.
Top Central Montgomery Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Club Blaze's license revoked by the Montgomery City Council
- Legislature passes bill granting in-state tuition to armed forces members
- Weekend shooting ends with Montgomery's 24th homicide of 2013
- Alabama woman sentenced to 4 years in prison in stolen identity refund fraud scheme
- Montgomery Museum of Fine Arts Hosts Double Exhibition Opening on Friday, June 14, 2013
- City of Prattville to Observe Memorial Day
- 3 old wooden bridges to be replaced in Autauga Co. at cost of $1.3 million
- City hosts 2nd Annual Memorial Day Fun Event - Pratt Pool Goes Retro for a Day!
- Man arrested after Prattville road rage leads to shooting
- Old Farm Lane in Prattville will be Closed Sunday for Utility Relocation