Troy University Sports and Fitness Management students gain Super Bowl experience | Events
While there may not be any Troy University Trojans on the field in this year’s Super Bowl, several Sport and Fitness Management students will participate in activities surrounding the event.
Seventeen members of the University’s Sport Management Club will be volunteering in New Orleans Jan. 31 – Feb. 4, working two major events and participating in community service projects, said Dr. Michael Martinez, an assistant professor of Kinesiology and Health Promotion.
“One of the foundations of our Sport and Fitness Management program is to prepare our students for success in their future careers with practical, service learning experiences,” said Dr. Martinez. “This trip to the Super Bowl is one such opportunity where our students can take part in the overall experience. There’s more to the sport industry than just the games on the field, and our students will be able to say that they were a part of the biggest stage in sports.”
The students will participate in four events, including a panel discussion with NFL and industry practitioners. On Thursday, and again on Sunday, students will work in the “NFL Experience,” helping fans with interactive stations such as an autograph stage, pass/punt/kick events, youth clinics, youth events, NFL memorabilia displays, a Super Bowl Trophy exhibit and other activities.
On Friday, they will assist with the “Verizon Super Bowl Boulevard” where volunteers will welcome tourists to the city and provide game, event, transportation and hospitality information.
On Saturday, the students will participate in the “Super Saturday of Service,” an activity of the New Orleans Super Bowl XLVII Host Committee, in partnership with the Young Leadership Council and New Orleans Habitat for Humanity. The projects are part of the NFL’s and the City of New Orleans partnership to revitalize the Greater New Orleans area in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.
On Monday, the group will meet with professional staff of the Mobile Bay Bears, and tour Hank Aaron Stadium.
Participating students are:
- Hunter Brown, of Monroeville
- Shabirka Clark, an eTroy student from Stockbridge, GA
- Kenneth Comer, of Birmingham
- Kelley Curran, of Houston, TX
- Derek Daniel, of Troy
- Stevon Douglas, an eTroy student from Chantilly, VA
- LaTisha Hardy, an eTroy student from Pensacola, FL
- Garrett Parker, of Troy
- Gail Pasco, of Elba
- Mike Peinhardt, of Cullman
- Amanda Shugarts, of Tuscaloosa
- Johnny Thompson, of Valley
- Mykel Travis, of Cantonment, FL
- David Turner of Montgtomery
- Candice Vaughn, of Madison
- Ashley Woods, of Orlando, FL
- Anton Zimanek, of Prattville
Source: Troy University Office of University Relations
Top Central Montgomery Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Autauga County search linked to Prattville police chase
- Prattville draft beer legislation waits for bill's signature
- City of Prattville to Observe Memorial Day
- 3 old wooden bridges to be replaced in Autauga Co. at cost of $1.3 million
- City hosts 2nd Annual Memorial Day Fun Event - Pratt Pool Goes Retro for a Day!