Troy-Montgomery to celebrate Rosa Parks' 100th birthday | Events
Troy University’s Rosa Parks Museum will celebrate Rosa Parks’ 100th birthday on Monday, February 4, 2013 with an evening of art, poetry, and an official unveiling of the new Parks commemorative stamp by the U.S. Postal Service.
The celebration event will be held at 6 p.m. inside the Gold Room on the second floor of Whitley Hall at Troy’s Montgomery Campus. Admission is free and open to the public. The evening’s events will include:
- A reading of "Red Velvet," by National Book Award-winning poet Nikky Finley.
- A lecture presentation by Dr. Riche Richardson, an associate professor at the Africana Studies and Research Center at Cornell University and a Montgomery native. Richardson’s essays have been published in numerous journals such as “American Literature” and “Mississippi Quarterly." Her first book was “Black Masculinity and the U.S. South: From Uncle Tom to Gangsta,” and she has a book in progress exploring black femininity in the South.
- A presentation of the "Rosa Parks 100th Birthday Wishes” Project by Museum Director Georgette Norman and Curator Daniel Niel. For several months, the museum has collected more than 1,400 “wishes” for the future of the city and nation inspired by Parks’ life work. Many of these “wishes” have been turned into a series of silk screen posters, which will be presented to local elected officials and leaders for display around Montgomery.
- The unveiling of the Rosa Parks commemorative stamp by Bridgett Carol, Director of Marketing for the U.S. Postal Service Alabama District and Donnie Snipes, Postmaster for Montgomery. This will be one of several unveilings happening nationwide this day.
For more information about this or other museum events, contact Museum Director Georgette Norman at (334) 241-8608, or email@example.com. To learn about the Civil Rights history of Montgomery, Alabama call the Montgomery Chamber’s Convention & Visitor Bureau or explore www.visitingmontgomery.com.
Source: Montgomery Area Chamber of Commerce
Top Central Montgomery Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- MPD investigating fatal shooting on Brookview Drive
- Downtown Montgomery site to be renovated, called the "40 Four Building"
- MPD investigating Montgomery's 25th homicide of 2013
- Make It an Artful Summer at the Montgomery Museum of Fine Arts during Week-Long Art Camps
- Get your kids off the couch with AUM summer camps