Farmers Market Day 2012 - Saturday July 14th | Events
MONTGOMERY, Alabama -- Old fashioned summer fun awaits families, friends and neighbors at this Saturday's Farmers Market Day, featuring a corn shucking contest pitting politicians and the news media in a test of down-home skills.
The event honors the late C. Mac Johnson, a driving force in the development of the State Farmers Market in 1971.
Agriculture Commissioner John McMillan and Attorney General Luther Strange are among contestants in the corn competition that gets underway at 11:00 a.m. Members of the news media are invited to be part of the competition.
Harvest Select, Alabama's largest producers of farm-raised catfish, will provide free samples of their products as part of their latest promotion that includes sale-priced Harvest Select catfish.
Other activities include: live music, an antique tractor show, pony rides, hot air balloon, and a watermelon eating contest, which will be open to kids of all ages.
All activities are free of charge to the public and will take place at the Montgomery State Farmers Market on Federal Drive next to Garrett Coliseum.
Farmers Market Day will offer something exciting for everyone to enjoy so get there early to find the best selection of your favorite fruits and vegetables.
For more information, contact Nick Zorn at the State Farmers Market office at 334-242-5350.
Information Source: Alabama Department of Agriculture and Industries
Top Central Montgomery Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Club Blaze's license revoked by the Montgomery City Council
- Legislature passes bill granting in-state tuition to armed forces members
- Weekend shooting ends with Montgomery's 24th homicide of 2013
- Alabama woman sentenced to 4 years in prison in stolen identity refund fraud scheme
- Montgomery Museum of Fine Arts Hosts Double Exhibition Opening on Friday, June 14, 2013
- City of Prattville to Observe Memorial Day
- 3 old wooden bridges to be replaced in Autauga Co. at cost of $1.3 million
- City hosts 2nd Annual Memorial Day Fun Event - Pratt Pool Goes Retro for a Day!
- Man arrested after Prattville road rage leads to shooting
- Old Farm Lane in Prattville will be Closed Sunday for Utility Relocation