Suspect arrested in city's 12th homicide of 2013 | Crime
MONTGOMERY, AL (WSFA) - Montgomery Police say a suspect is in custody charged with the March 2 murder of 70-year-old Jesse Stevens.
Police say 47-year-old Curtis Caldwell has been arrested and charged with one count of capital murder.
Caldwell was taken into custody by the U.S. Marshals Fugitive Task Force on Friday, March 8.
Caldwell is being held without bond at the Montgomery County Detention Facility in connection with the March 2 murder of 70-year-old Jesse Stevens in the 100 block of Debra Drive.
Authorities were called to Debra Drive around 9:30 a.m. Saturday, March 2 on the call of a subject deceased. There they located Stevens who was pronounced dead at the scene - the cause was believed to be due to head trauma.
An initial investigation indicates Stevens' death was the result of a robbery. Further investigation identified Caldwell, a neighbor, as a suspect.
Stevens' death was Montgomery's 12th homicide of 2013. Authorities so no additional information is available at this time due to the ongoing investigation.
Top Central Montgomery Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Club Blaze's license revoked by the Montgomery City Council
- Legislature passes bill granting in-state tuition to armed forces members
- Weekend shooting ends with Montgomery's 24th homicide of 2013
- Alabama woman sentenced to 4 years in prison in stolen identity refund fraud scheme
- Montgomery Museum of Fine Arts Hosts Double Exhibition Opening on Friday, June 14, 2013
- City of Prattville to Observe Memorial Day
- 3 old wooden bridges to be replaced in Autauga Co. at cost of $1.3 million
- City hosts 2nd Annual Memorial Day Fun Event - Pratt Pool Goes Retro for a Day!
- Man arrested after Prattville road rage leads to shooting
- Old Farm Lane in Prattville will be Closed Sunday for Utility Relocation