Experts called in to look at city's 'lost mural' | Arts & Culture
MONTGOMERY, AL (WSFA) - City leaders thought a fire curtain was hanging way up near the ceiling of city hall behind the new council chambers - until they broke out a ladder to go check it out.
What they found was a mural that had been lost for years.
The mural, which they believed used to hang in front of the city hall stage when there were no acts performing, depicts Dexter Avenue at the turn of the century.
Historians and city officials say little is known about the mural right now, but they do believe it was painted in the 1930's. Experts will be coming in to take a closer look.
Top Central Montgomery Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- MPD investigating fatal shooting on Brookview Drive
- Downtown Montgomery site to be renovated, called the "40 Four Building"
- MPD investigating Montgomery's 25th homicide of 2013
- Make It an Artful Summer at the Montgomery Museum of Fine Arts during Week-Long Art Camps
- Get your kids off the couch with AUM summer camps